Saturday, May 12, 2012

Training, Training & Special Events

Good Morning from Seattle!! It has been a while since I have written a blog, but I'm up super early and I have a lot to talk about : ).

This off season I chose to stay state side and not go overseas. It gave me an opportunity to explore so many different opportunities and for me to focus a little bit on my life after basketball. I got to hang with the First Lady in Des Moines, Iowa as part of her "Let's Move" campaign. Spent Easter with the Prez himself at their Easter party at the White House. Checked out the ESPN campus and went through the "carwash" with interviews and a live spot on TV. And, most importantly, being able to hang out with my fam and workout. So, needless to say, it was an amazing time at home.


Now, onto the next step! Training camp kicked off April 29th and we have been rolling since. We have a few new players, but for the most part things are centered around the core group of players that we have had for a few years. I am super excited about the season and being able to spend time with my teammates.  We've already had two preseason games against the San Antonio Silver Stars and will be looking to kick off the season opener on May 19th v the Atlanta Dream.


A few nights ago we celebrated our 7th Annual Catch the Stars Scholar Athlete Dinner. Each year we have been blessed to give out $2500 in scholarship money to a male and female senior scholar athlete to help them with their collegiate dreams. This year's winners were Joshua Piercey and Ashley McIntyre. Our event has come so far over the years and this was our first one with being able to give out renewable scholarships. So our winners will receive $10,000 provided they stay on path and meet certain CTS criteria to be eligible to win. It has been an amazing journey seeing this program get to this level and of course one day I hope that we will be able to offer full scholarships. But, I know time is of the essence so we will take our time.

Now... Seattle? What am I doing here? This weekend the 12 member USA Team is here for a little pre- Olympic Training session. Last night we had practice and this morning we'll have a shoot around before playing against China tonight. Then tomorrow morning we'll be facing Japan before we hit the flights and head back home. What an exciting time!!

Well, that's it for now. I promise to check in and write at least once a month. Until the next time... Go Fever, Go Team USA and GO CATCH THE STARS!! God Bless!


Tamika Catchings

1 comment:

  1. HI TAMIKA, I AM ONE OF YOUR BIGGEST FANS. I ALWAYS USE YOU AS AN EXAMPLE FOR MY DAUGHTER . WE WILL BE AT THE GAME ROOTING FOR YOU AND THE FEVER. YOU HAVE HAD A HALL OF FAME CAREER AND YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF. I HOPE I CAN SEE YOU AND GET AN AUTOGRAPH ON MAY 19 IN ATLANTA. MY DAUGHTER, BRITNEY, GRADUATES FROM SPELMAN COLLEGE MAY 20TH.
    STAY BEAUTIFUL AND KEEP DOING GODS WORK

    ADRIAN GREEN
    JOURNEYMAN PLUMBER
    ATLANTA GA

    ReplyDelete